Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Art of Parenting !

Today I was at myself, dropping and bringing back Arjuun from his playschool(Seeds at Adyar). Whenever I go to his school to drop him in the morning; I feel a bit uncomfortable to leave him and come back. At times; when I am about to enter the school gate - I feel like taking him back home. Then I shake my head and watch Arjuun for sometime(without his notice, until he gets settled) and then I come back home. Watching the kids play,connect , interact and communicate really provides me a lot of inputs on how develop the art of parenting.

1) As a parent we should help the kids to add life to their years; rather than adding years to life.

2) Adding life to years is Growing ; adding years to your life is Ageing. We should help them to grow and be open to learn new dimensions from them.

3) We should also help the kids to understand - Whenever they make a choice; they also choose the consequences that come with that choice. If we are able to get this message to the kids in the right way - then it will help them to make their independent decision.

4) Every man needs a good female friend and every female needs a good male friend. I am not talking about the spouse here! So often this aspect is missed and neglected. This generation kids should be sensitive to this fact and should build on this.

I havee read in many books that for a female - it is very difficult to get a true friend(male or female) and if they are able to get hold of a true male friend, they are extremely blessed and it helps them to a great extent in their life. Females who have true male friends have achieved a lot in their life and they are extremely satisfied and content.
It makes them a real inner winner.

5) As a parent, another important attribute that we must exhibit to the kids is acceptance. They should be willing to accept the fact that life is always not fair and they will have to face the downs. Once they learn this acceptance - they can generate intelligence and creativity from this acceptance to help them overcome adverse situations.

6) Subroto has stated in his book Go kiss the world that ' The job of real leaders is to continuously build infrastructures - Physical,Intellectual and Emotional '.

I think the job of a parent is to continuously build that emotional infrastructure. What do you think?

2 comments:

Shiva said...

Wow! A gem of a post Bharath.

I feel the same way when I leave Pranav at the school. Feel happy when he returns my good-bye and heavy when he shows faces. But, we should only encourage them to grow.

You have been a great friend to us and in that way, DS is lucky to have you as a friend.

Emotional needs and fulfillment will definitely determine the formative years of any child and is crucial for us to ensure it.

Learnt something from the post. Thanks!

Bharath S said...

Yes Shiva, kids are great teacher's - there is so much to learn from them.Greatest strength of the kids is their ignorance,flexibility and adaptability. Ignorance is truely a bliss!

I am indeed fortunate to have somebody like DS and YOU as my friends. In DS, I always have a great friend,guide and motivator.

Thanks a lot Shiva for everything!