Sunday, October 28, 2007

Our Iceberg is Melting!!!

This weekend, I had the opportunity to read the book 'Our Iceberg is Melting" by John Kotter. The main crux of the book was on - How to suceed under constantly changing conditions. It was all about change management, which was narrated in the form of a fable based on a colony of penguins living on the icebergs of Antartica. It helped me to realize that changes are good and healthy signs of stable progression. A penguin named 'Fred' discovers that their iceberg is showing the signs of dis-integration. How he analyzes his findings,support his facts, takes this message to the other penguins,makes others understand the situation,communicates the new vision,forms a core group to guide the changes and succeeds in totally a different way of life forms the rest of the story. It was a great eye-opener for me.

8 important steps for managing the change :

1) Create a sense of urgency.
2) Pull together a guiding team.
3) Create a change vision and strategy.
4) Communicate to others and get the buy-in.
5) Empower others to act and make the new vision a reality.
6) Produce short-terms wins.
7) Don't let up
8) Create the new culture.

This can be applied to all spheres of life inorder to guide the change management smoothly. Personally, I felt that I got hold of the book at the right time,since I am seriously planning a couple of changes. I have decided to use this book as platform to guide my change management process.

After reading this book, I started the following self-introspection:

- Is my iceberg melting?
- Is my iceberg showing an indication that it could melt in the near future?
- Do I have my new vision?
- Should I take the help of others to conceritize my new vision?
- What changes should I make to envisage my new vision?
- What's my new strategy?
- Am I complacent?

Yes, It's time to come out of my comfort zone,rock the boat and enjoy the changes!!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Friend,
You have posted a wonderful comment on the book.
I also used to read the book in a Train from Tirupur to Chennai.
It is really wonderful.

Bharath S said...

Thanks Elango!

Priya said...

You have written so well and I will definitely gonna chk this book soon.

Thank you for visitng my blog:) Good post.

time to come out of my comfort zone-

Life can be seen as a boat, but its not the end at all coz we shud keep exploring to know more about ourselves which are hardly seen.

Bharath S said...

Thanks a Priya.

Bharath S said...

Thanks a lot Priya.

Shiva said...

You keep adding my list of books to read. Will give it a try. Thanks for the post

Unknown said...

Dear Bharath,
Hi it is very nice to have a reveiw on the site again.

Hi Bharath, I hope that you are aware of www.ted.com, which I enjoy to download a lot of things and distributing it to lot of like minded friends to create a change.

Rest is fine.

WBR
Elango